TikTookay has gone viral — after which some. A non secular successor to Vine and an precise successor to Musical.ly, the shortform video sharing app has swept the world up to now yr. Like different social media apps, it’s continuously the supply of viral memes, slang, challenges, and dances. You could have seen it on the information when youngsters used the app to unfold the phrase a couple of plan to reserve tickets for a Trump rally (after which not present up), when lawmakers known as for a national security review of the app, or when it launched last year’s runaway hit song, Lil Nas X’s “Old Town Road.” Initially in style principally amongst youngsters and younger adults, because the begin of the coronavirus pandemic, TikTookay has exploded in popularity amongst customers of all ages.
TikTookay serves an countless scroll of movies in your “For You” web page. You can scroll down to hold watching movies that TikTookay has curated for you based on your likes and activity utilizing its algorithm. (This isn’t essentially an excellent factor. TikTookay has been suspected of suppressing black creators and had been preventing users from getting their content material on “For You” primarily based on their look and whether or not they appeared to be in “slums” or “dilapidated housing.” In the previous, it has additionally suppressed movies by LBGTQ creators and creators with disabilities.) You may also discover content material and creators to observe by looking out up hashtags and even sounds.
If you need to publish your personal content material, you possibly can edit your movies in-app. Videos recorded by way of the app could be a most of 15 seconds lengthy, however you possibly can string clips collectively for a max size of 60 seconds or add longer movies that you simply’ve recorded outdoors the app. TikTookay additionally permits you to do duets, the place you possibly can place your personal video facet by facet with one other video, permitting you to movie a response video, reply questions, or dance and sing collectively.
Once you arrange the app, make an account, and begin interacting with content material, it’s straightforward to get misplaced within the video feed. Here’s how to get started. (These directions have been written for an iPhone, however the course of for the Android app needs to be comparable.)
- Download the app
- The first display screen will ask you to select what subjects you’re fascinated by. Tap on the totally different buttons to choose them. (You may also click on “Skip” within the top-right nook.)
- The subsequent display screen explains how to scroll by way of TikTookay. You can both swipe up or choose “Start watching” to proceed.
- On the underside of your display screen, you’ll see a set of buttons. From left to proper, these buttons permit you to go to your “For You” web page, seek for content material, create movies, entry your messages (the “Inbox”), or view your profile (the “Me” button).
You’re prepared to begin watching movies! But you don’t have an account but. If you need to publish content material, see and browse messages, or get extra customized suggestions, you’ll want an account. To make one:
- Tap on both the “Inbox” or “Me” buttons
- Tap the pink “Sign up” button
- You could make an account utilizing your cellphone quantity, e-mail tackle, Facebook, Google, Apple, or Twitter account. (If you possibly can’t see all of those choices, faucet the arrow beneath the seen choices.) Let’s say you need to use your cellphone quantity or e-mail tackle.
- First, you’ll have to enter your date of delivery. Tap “Next” if you’re prepared.
- On the subsequent display screen, you possibly can select between utilizing your cellphone quantity or e-mail tackle. Use the tabs on the prime to choose which one you need to use in your account. Enter in your cellphone or e-mail after which click on “Next.” (You’ll in all probability have to confirm your account, both by typing in a code or clicking on a hyperlink despatched to your e-mail.) Then you could be requested for extra verification. (I received a window asking me to slide a puzzle piece into place.)
- You’ll then be requested to create a password. Click “Next” if you’re achieved.
- Next, you’ll have to choose a username. Once you come up with a novel one, click on “Sign up.”
When you arrange an account, by default, everybody can see your movies, however you may want to set your account to personal. This implies that individuals could have to request to observe you so as to see your movies. Here’s how to put your account on personal:
- Click on the “Me” button within the backside right-hand nook of the display screen
- Tap the three dots within the top-right nook
- Tap “Privacy and safety”
- Toggle on “Private account”
- You may additionally need to scroll down to entry extra privateness settings
Now you’re prepared to watch movies and publish your personal! The extra you utilize TikTookay, the extra you’ll get content material tailor-made to you, which implies (no less than for me) the extra time you’ll find yourself spending on the app.
The Verge’s Julia Alexander recommends taking time to actually discover past the “For You” web page by scrolling by way of totally different hashtags, trying up songs, and discovering new creators to observe. To be taught extra about utilizing the app, read her guide on navigating the tradition, content material, and niches of TikTookay.