Amazon Music usually doesn’t get the identical buzz as Spotify or Apple Music, however the service continues to be rising quickly and is catching as much as these opponents at a charge which may shock you. Amazon says its music service has now surpassed 55 million customers.
There’s nonetheless an extended approach to go if Amazon desires to catch Spotify, which most not too long ago reported 113 million paying customers (and 248 million month-to-month customers total) again in September. Apple final cited an Apple Music subscriber depend of over 60 million, so Amazon is rapidly chipping away at that lead. “Amazon doesn’t talk numbers that much,” Amazon Music boss Steve Boom told the Financial Times. “We felt like getting to this level of scale was something worth talking about.”
That’s largely as a result of Amazon Music has one huge consider its favor: versatility. There are a number of rungs that make up Amazon Music, and the service will get to experience on the big recognition of Amazon’s Prime membership, which has change into important for many individuals. It’s additionally tightly built-in into the corporate’s Alexa voice assistant. Let’s have a look at the handful of selections you’ve received, from costliest on all the way down to free (with adverts).
- Amazon Music HD: The step-up audiophile improve to Amazon Music Unlimited launched final fall for $14.99 month-to-month ($12.99 for those who’ve received Prime)
- Amazon Music Unlimited: This is the true, correct Spotify and Apple Music rival and begins at the identical $9.99-per-month value (or $7.99 for Prime subscribers). Amazon Music Unlimited subscriptions grew by over 50 % in 2019, in accordance with the corporate.
- Amazon Music Unlimited (single-device plan): Maybe you lead a lifetime of simplicity and solely wish to hearken to music on the Amazon Echo in your front room. One of the extra novel plans supplied by Amazon is the single-device subscription, which can be utilized on supported Echo and Fire TV gadgets for under $3.99 every month. You nonetheless get the identical 50 million track choice as common Unlimited customers, however you’re simply (very) restricted on the place you possibly can hearken to them.
- Amazon Music for Prime subscribers: Amazon Prime customers get on-demand, ad-free entry to over 2 million songs by way of the Amazon Music service. There’s no added price or subscription for this, other than the common Prime membership. It’s a pleasant perk for those who’re not a choosy listener and simply need one thing with out adverts.
- Ad-sponsored Amazon Music: If you’re not a Prime individual and don’t wish to pay for music, Amazon nonetheless has one thing for you. The free, ad-supported tier of Amazon Music offers you entry to prime playlists and hundreds of music stations; you simply lose the comfort of listening to any track you need on demand.
That’s 5 tiers, proper there. And to achieve its 55 million quantity, Amazon is tallying up the customers on all of them. International progress additionally seems to be sturdy. From Amazon’s news release:
Amazon Music has grown practically 50% year-over-year throughout the US, UK, Germany, and Japan, and has greater than doubled in our newer international locations such as France, Italy, Spain, and Mexico.
Most of Amazon’s opponents have, at most, two plan choices: free and paid. But as standard, Amazon is flooding the zone and hoping it can attract each type of music listener.